By Zachary Stieber
A federal appeals court agreed on Wednesday to expedite the appeal in a case brought by lawyer Sidney Powell against election officials in Georgia.
A judge on Sunday blocked election officials from wiping or altering Dominion Voting Systems machines in three counties, but Powell was seeking a statewide order, prompting her to seek an emergency appeal from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
The appeals court on Dec. 2 granted the emergency appeal, ordering plaintiffs to file their initial brief by midnight and defendants to file their response by midnight on Dec. 4. Plaintiffs can file a response to the response by midnight on Dec. 6.
The initial brief wasn’t listed on the docket as of early Thursday. Plaintiffs later filed two affidavits and an expert report from Matthew Braynard.
A Dec. 4 hearing scheduled in front of the lower court judge who made the initial ruling was postponed in light of the appeals court order.
Also on Wednesday night, the Democratic Party of Georgia entered an emergency request to grant an intervention so they can participate in the appeal. The party is being represented by Washington firm Perkins Coie, a longtime Democrat-linked company. The request was granted on Thursday.
Powell is representing about a dozen voters who argue there was a fraudulent scheme to manipulate the vote count to make sure Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden won Georgia.
Powell is seeking to have outside experts examine Dominion machines. Georgia election officials are attempting to prevent that from happening.
The case is Pearson v. Kemp, 1:20-cv-04809.
- Judge Approves $650 Million Facebook Privacy Lawsuit Settlement
- Trump Endorses Former Aide Max Miller Against GOP Rep. Who Voted for Impeachment
- 60 Years After Eisenhower’s Warning, Distinct Signs of a ‘Digital-Intelligence Complex’
- Trump ‘Planning for the Next Administration’: Former Chief of Staff Mark Meadows
- Volkswagen Weathers Pandemic With $10.7 Billion Profit
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on