By Zachary Stieber
President Donald Trump has awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor, to Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio).
The Medal of Freedom, established by President John F. Kennedy, is awarded by presidents to people who have made exceptional contributions to the security or national interests of America, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.
Jordan, who has served the people of Ohio’s 4th Congressional District for 14 years, helped uncover the gun-running program known as “Fast and Furious,” which sent AK-47s to Mexican drug cartels during the Obama administration, the White House said in a statement.
Jordan’s other work includes identifying millions of dollars in wasteful spending, unearthing the systemic targeting of conservative organizations by the IRS, and figuring out the truth behind the “Russia hoax,” or the debunked theory that Trump and his campaign colluded with Russia, the White House added.
“He is an inspiration to freedom-loving Americans everywhere and has distinguished himself as one of the most consequential members of Congress of his generation,” it said.
Jordan didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
Trump presented Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) with the award last week, along with retired golfers Annika Sörenstam and Gary Player, and the late Babe Zaharias. He has also awarded the medal to former football coach Lou Holtz, golfer Tiger Woods, and former Attorney General Edwin Meese.
People awarded the medal by other presidents include former First Lady Nancy Reagan, civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks, and Mother Teresa.
- Twitter Shares Fall Even More Following Trump Ban
- Trump Signs Executive Order to Protect US Against Security Threats From Drones
- My Pillow CEO Says Bed Bath and Beyond, Kohl’s to Stop Selling His Products
- CCP Virus Updates: Mutations Rise Along With Cases
- US Counterintelligence Chief Warns China Poses ‘Severe’ Threat to US
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on