By Andrew McCarthy | National Review
Here’s what the newly declassified FBI documents tell us.
See if you can follow this: In an effort to depict Donald Trump as if he were in an espionage conspiracy with the Kremlin, the Obama administration used bogus information, from a man the FBI suspected was an actual Russian spy, to brand as a suspected Russian spy a former U.S. naval intelligence officer who had actually been a CIA informant.
Your head spinning? Mine too.
NEWT GINGRICH: HOW THE BIDENS WORKED WITH CHINA TO GET RICH – AT AMERICA’S EXPENSE
And that’s just the beginning.
It turns out that Igor Danchenko, the man the FBI suspected of being an actual Russian spy, initially provided the bogus information about the American, Carter Page, through a former British spy, Christopher Steele. Through a couple of cut-outs, Steele had been retained by the Clinton campaign to dig up – or, alas, to make up –Russian dirt on Trump.
Through his private intelligence business in London, Steele was known to be working for Russian oligarchs, while Danchenko was on Steele’s payroll. That is, the Clinton campaign, and ultimately the Obama administration, colluded with Russians for the purpose of accusing Donald Trump of … yes … colluding with Russians.
Danchenko, who in 2005 reportedly told a Russian intelligence officer that he hoped someday to work for the Russian government, became Steele’s source on Trump.
Even before October 2016, when the FBI and the Obama Justice Department first sought a surveillance warrant against Page based on the information Steele was compiling, it was obvious that the information was unreliable – some of it laughably so.
- Trump vows ‘comeback’ in campaign’s closing message, claims Biden will ‘lock down your state’
- Biden tax hike would accelerate exodus from high-tax states, experts predict
- Acting DHS Sec. Chad Wolf to Twitter’s Jack Dorsey: ‘Your censorship poses a threat to our security’
- DEROY MURDOCK: Trump’s latest Mideast peace deal buried by ABC, CBS, NBC in sand dune
- Fraudster attempts to register dead Americans as Dems in Florida
- Four battleground states see the most unreturned mail ballots so far on
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says new criminal allegations against AG Ken Paxton ‘raise serious concerns’ on
- Biden Caught Wearing Wire for Debate on
- Chris Wallace: Trump ‘bears the primary responsibility for what happened’ at the debate on
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on