California pastor to defy Newsom's shutdown, possibly run for governor

By Caleb Parke | Fox News

A California pastor said he would defy Gov. Gavin Newsom’s latest coronavirus lockdown — and maybe even challenge him in the polls.

Pastor Greg Fairrington, leader of 3,500-members Destiny Christian Church outside of Sacramento, said he plans to continue holding in-person services despite Newsom’s second shutdown announced Monday. The Golden State has had a steep surge of COVID-19 cases, now second to New York.

VIRGINIA DROPS CRIMINAL CHARGES AGAINST PASTOR WHO HELD 16-PERSON CHURCH SERVICE

“If we don’t take a stand, all we’re doing is kicking the can down the road and we will be having the same conversations in three weeks, six weeks, six months, or even a year from now,” Fairrington told Fox News.

Pastor Greg Fairrington, leader of 3,500-members Destiny Christian Church outside of Sacramento, says he plans to continue holding in-person services despite Gov. Gavin Newsom’s second strict shutdown announced Monday. (Destiny Christian Church 3)

“We need to collectively take a stand and say, ‘We are the church, and we have a biblical and First Amendment right to worship together,’” the pastor added.

FLORIDA CHURCH’S STATUE OF JESUS BEHEADED, SIMILAR ATTACKS OCCUR ACROSS U.S.

During a livestream service earlier this month, Fairrington floated a run for governor if he gets enough support, The Sacramento Bee reports.

After 11 weeks of online-only services, Fairrington reopened on May 31 along with 1,000 other congregations across the state. Days before, President Trump had declared houses of worship “essential” and stated he would override any governors that don’t allow them to open.

HUNDREDS PROTEST CALIFORNIA’S SINGING BAN AT GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE: ‘LET US WORSHIP’

“We believe that the local church serves a critical mental health, spiritual and community outreach role in our communities, as affirmed by our justice department and executive branch of government,” the church said in a statement.

They will continue to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidelines of social distancing, wearing masks, temperature checks, and sanitation “out of an abundance of care for the people of our church and surrounding community.” Services will continue to be broadcast to around 40,000 viewers.

“Our mandate is to obey the Word of God, and worship is a part of what we do as a church corporately,” the church’s statement read. “As we pull together as a community, we choose to live in faith over fear. Just like our currency states, our founders pledged, and our churches believe: In God We Trust.”

Meanwhile, in Atlanta, megachurch pastor Andy Stanley announced this week he will not resume in-person services until next year. Caleb Parke is an associate editor for FoxNews.com.

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

NH POLITICIAN is a New Hampshire based media company specializing in the collection, publication and distribution of public opinion information, local, national and world news. Our team of reporters,...