By Joshua Nelson | Fox News
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said on Monday that more than 400,000 people worldwide could ultimately die due to the “Chinese dictatorship” mishandling the coronavirus outbreak, as the death toll from the virus continues to grow.
“This is directly the fault of the dictatorship which as early as November had its first cases and in the middle of December began to realize that there was an epidemic in Wuhan and lied to the entire planet until very late January and has never allowed any of the Western scientists or doctors to come into Wuhan and find out what happened,” Gingrich told “Fox & Friends.”
TRUMP RIPS WHO, CHINA OVER CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE: ‘THE US HAS BEEN FOOLISHLY FUNDING THE WHO’
Gingrich’s comments came after President Trump bashed the World Health Organization [WHO] on Sunday, saying the group mishandled the coronavirus pandemic by giving deference to China, during his Fox News Town Hall with Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum, focused on reopening America during the public health crisis.
Trump said the WHO passed along “wrong” information and was China-centric. Trump noted that the United States “foolishly” has been paying the group $450 million a year whereas China has been paying $38 million a year.
“But, the [WHO] were more political than all of our leaders previously,” Trump said. “What the WHO did, they missed every single call.
“Don’t forget, China tried to blame the [coronavirus pandemic] on some of our soldiers and that didn’t go too far,” Trump noted, a reference to statements appearing on Chinese state media. Trump said China then tried to blame it on Europe as Italy “suffered probably more than anybody per capita.”
Gingrich said that the burden of proof is on the Chinese and that Congress ought to be holding hearings and adopting legislation to allow Americans to sue the Chinese government for the deaths of their loved ones.
“We ought to be looking at reparations from China. I think the Germans have indicated they think the Chinese owe them $149 billion in the damage they did to the German economy. The amount [in the United States] will be incalculably bigger,” Gingrich concluded. Joshua Nelson is a freelance reporter for Fox News.
- Suburban mom on why she’s backing Trump: Biden can’t even say the words ‘law and order’
- Gutfeld on Trump’s rallies and Biden’s seclusion
- Hurricane Zeta expected to become even stronger before it makes landfall in Louisiana
- Media’s ‘total omission’ of accusations in new Bobulinski interview stuns critics
- Biden stays silent on Bobulinski claims about family’s business ventures
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says new criminal allegations against AG Ken Paxton ‘raise serious concerns’ on
- Chris Wallace: Trump ‘bears the primary responsibility for what happened’ at the debate on
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on