By Charles Creitz | Fox News
Former CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus said the symbolism of hosting Taliban officials at the Camp David presidential retreat would’ve been troubling — and President Trump made the right call in the end.
The president was right to call off the summit at the compound in the mountains near Thurmont, Md., especially given the fact the U.S. is very close to remembering the 18th anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks, Petraeus said Monday on “The Story.”
“I think the symbolism of that [meeting] would’ve been a bit troubling,” he said.
PETRAEUS PRAISES TRUMP, CALLS OUT NATO, NORTH KOREA AND CHINA
“Remember, that was where the decision was made to invade Taliban in the wake of the 9/11 attacks. As you reflect on that, certainly, again, I think the president very much made the right call.”
Of the Taliban keeping its word following a negotiated deal with the U.S., Petraeus said there was some concern among those at the Pentagon.
“A number of us, as it was noted, expressed reservations,” he said. “I know there were reservations elsewhere in the Department of Defense and in uniform,” he said.
“The Taliban certainly hadn’t slowed down the violence whatsoever,” he added. “There are very grave reservations… about whether they could even do what they’ve said they would do, which is to keep Al Qaeda and now the Islamic State from establishing a sanctuary in Afghanistan again, as they had a sanctuary when the Taliban ran the country when the attacks for 9/11 were planned.”
Petraeus, former commander of CENTCOM, added the Taliban was not acting in “good faith” ahead of what was supposed to be a summit with Trump.
“They refused to reduce the level of violence even as we were negotiating with them in good faith,” he said.
“They have refused to actually negotiate with the actual democratically-elected government of President Ashraf Ghani — with elections coming up which they also did not want to see.”
- Trump to nominate Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court: sources
- Pelosi doubles down that Biden shouldn’t debate Trump: ‘Why bother?’
- LA police detain, release driver after vehicle plows into protesters; at least 1 injured: report
- Terror probe opened into Paris knife attack that left at least 2 injured
- Breonna Taylor shooting: Video purportedly shows tense moments after officer was struck by gunfire
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on