By Joseph A. Wulfsohn | Fox News
MSNBC host Joy Reid was under fire Tuesday over a tweet — which she later deleted — slamming Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for supposedly appearing on Russian state-run television.
Pompeo spoke this past April at Texas A&M University, recalling the sins he witnessed when he oversaw the CIA. “I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole,” Pompeo chuckled in the clip. “We had entire training courses.”
However, Pompeo’s remarks had aired on Russia’s RT and a Twitter user shared the clip suggesting that the secretary of state had said that directly on Russian television, something Reid initially seemed to believe.
“Can you imagine what Republicans would have said if Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had gone on Russian State TV and said this during the Obama administration?” Reid asked. “Now? Republicans are unphased by this remarkably brazen Kremlin bowing. Putin really did win the year…”
MSNBC’S JOY REID DISMISSES THANKSGIVING AS A ‘PROBLEMATIC’ ‘FOOD HOLIDAY,’ MOCKS TRUMP SUPPORTERS
Critics on social media called out the MSNBC host for spreading the falsehood.
“Yet again, Joy Reid is blatantly lying and there will be no consequences at all because she works for MSNBC and is spreading lies to advance today’s neo-McCarthyism. RT pulled a random clip of [Pompeo]’s speech. In Reid’s hands, this becomes: [Pompeo] ‘has gone on Russian State TV,'” The Intercept editor Glenn Greenwald reacted.
“I’m assuming Joy Reid actually tweeted this, not Joy Reid’s Hacker (always good to check, you never know!),” The Nation contributor Aaron Maté joked in reference to her dubious 2018 claim that her homophobic blog posts were a result of a hacker. “That’s a clip of a [Pomepo] event from April 2019. I’m not surprised you’re unaware of it — why would MSNBC ever air something damning about its CIA heroes/employees?”
Yet again, Joy Reid is blatantly lying and there will be no consequences at all because she works for MSNBC and is spreading lies to advance today’s neo-McCarthyism.
RT pulled a random clip of Pomepo’s speech. In Reid’s hands, this becomes: Pomepo “has gone on Russian State TV.” https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1212097055595859969 …9152:59 PM – Dec 31, 2019
I’m assuming Joy Reid actually tweeted this, not Joy Reid’s Hacker (always good to check, you never know!).
That’s a clip of a Pomepo event from April 2019. I’m not surprised you’re unaware of it — why would MSNBC ever air something damning about its CIA heroes/employees?1153:15 PM – Dec 31, 2019
Closing out 2019 by falling for an obviously fake tweet https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/1212097055595859969 …463:11 PM – Dec 31, 2019
Reid eventually deleted the tweet, later clarifying, “This actually was said in Texas and was posted by RT. Updating for my thread.” Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News.
- China Emits More Greenhouse Gas Than Developed Countries Combined: Report
- Arizona Senate President Says She Thinks Election Audit Will Uncover ‘Irregularities’
- Californians to Lose Congressional Seat
- How the Biden-Harris Migration ‘Fix’ Would Throw Good Billions After Bad
- McConnell Says ‘100 Percent’ of His Focus Is on Blocking Biden’s Agenda
- Denmark Drops Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Over Possible Blood Clot Link on
- Ghislaine Maxwell’s Sex Crimes Trial in New York Delayed Until Fall on
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on