By Charles Creitz | Fox News
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is being politically smart by holding off on a formal Trump impeachment vote on the chamber floor, according to Brit Hume.
However, the investigation she is engineering is “peculiar” and unlike past proceedings against ex-presidents like Richard Nixon, Hume claimed Tuesday on “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”
“I frankly can’t think of a good reason, from her point of view, why she would hold a vote,” he said.
A full vote, the Fox News senior political analyst said, would expose vulnerable Democratic lawmakers — especially those in districts won by President Trump in 2016 — to a vote that could hurt them politically.
PELOSI ANNOUNCES HOUSE WON’T VOTE NOW ON WHETHER TO BEGIN IMPEACHMENT INQUIRYV
“This way, she gets to get all the fruits of this peculiar investigation that she announced going on, and none of the downsides,” he said.
“They’re conducting a very unusual investigation.”
Pivoting to Nixon, Hume said the House engaged in a “balanced” and “fair” process during that investigation.
The Republican minority was able to engage in the process and call witnesses, and the proceedings were largely not held behind closed doors, he added.
“None of that is happening here,” Hume said.
However, he said while Democrats’ investigation has gone on, national polling shows growing support for impeachment, as well as impeachment-and-removal.
Late Tuesday, Rep. Pelosi, D-Calif., announced after meeting with the House Democratic caucus that there will be no vote — at least for now — on the launch of formal impeachment proceedings against Trump.
“There’s no requirement that we have a vote, and so at this time we will not be having a vote,” Pelosi said.
“We’re not here to call bluffs — we’re here to find the truth, to uphold the Constitution of the United States. This is not a game for us. This is deadly serious.”
Fox News’ Gregg Re contributed to this report.
- Biden downplayed Antifa’s threat at Tuesday’s debate, but the WH, experts believe it’s a terror group
- Chamber of Commerce’s top political strategist abruptly forced out
- US private employers add 749,000 jobs in September, topping expectations
- Mnuchin signals stimulus deal is near, driving Dow up nearly 400 points at open
- House GOP China task force to release report on combating Chinese Communist Party: ‘US must act decisively’
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on