By Charles Creitz | Fox News
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is being politically smart by holding off on a formal Trump impeachment vote on the chamber floor, according to Brit Hume.
However, the investigation she is engineering is “peculiar” and unlike past proceedings against ex-presidents like Richard Nixon, Hume claimed Tuesday on “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”
“I frankly can’t think of a good reason, from her point of view, why she would hold a vote,” he said.
A full vote, the Fox News senior political analyst said, would expose vulnerable Democratic lawmakers — especially those in districts won by President Trump in 2016 — to a vote that could hurt them politically.
PELOSI ANNOUNCES HOUSE WON’T VOTE NOW ON WHETHER TO BEGIN IMPEACHMENT INQUIRYV
“This way, she gets to get all the fruits of this peculiar investigation that she announced going on, and none of the downsides,” he said.
“They’re conducting a very unusual investigation.”
Pivoting to Nixon, Hume said the House engaged in a “balanced” and “fair” process during that investigation.
The Republican minority was able to engage in the process and call witnesses, and the proceedings were largely not held behind closed doors, he added.
“None of that is happening here,” Hume said.
However, he said while Democrats’ investigation has gone on, national polling shows growing support for impeachment, as well as impeachment-and-removal.
Late Tuesday, Rep. Pelosi, D-Calif., announced after meeting with the House Democratic caucus that there will be no vote — at least for now — on the launch of formal impeachment proceedings against Trump.
“There’s no requirement that we have a vote, and so at this time we will not be having a vote,” Pelosi said.
“We’re not here to call bluffs — we’re here to find the truth, to uphold the Constitution of the United States. This is not a game for us. This is deadly serious.”
Fox News’ Gregg Re contributed to this report.
- Democrats, FBI Colluding to Destroy Trump, Rep. Nehls Says
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene Files Articles of Impeachment Against Attorney General Merrick Garland
- How the FBI Undercounts Armed Citizen Responders to Mass Killers—and Media Play Along
- DOJ Unseals Mar-a-Lago Search Warrant
- Trump spy chief on classified documents: ‘Virtually impossible to prosecute’
- The Truth About Gun Violence in America on
- Vermont Woman Fired, Denied Unemployment for Refusing Vaccine, Becomes Homeless and Flees to Florida on
- COVID Vaccine Injury Reports Jump by 27,000 in One Week, FDA Pulls ‘Bait and Switch’ With Pfizer Vaccine Approval on
- Taliban ‘Holding’ Americans ‘Hostage’ at Afghanistan Airport: Top Republican Lawmaker on
- The Pfizer Vaccine is NOT APPROVED on