By Alex Pappas | Fox News
Vice President Pence’s abrupt decision Tuesday to abandon plans to fly to New Hampshire for an opioid event — and instead return to the White House — has prompted confusion and conflicting statements from members of his team, as administration officials refused to divulge the reason for the last-minute change.
Fox News has requested an explanation, but officials have not yet provided details. Still, Pence’s office has sought to downplay the change of plans.
“Something came up that required the @VP to remain in Washington, DC,” Pence spokeswoman Alyssa Farah tweeted. “It’s no cause for alarm. He looks forward to rescheduling the trip to New Hampshire very soon.”
Something came up that required the @VP to remain in Washington, DC. It’s no cause for alarm. He looks forward to rescheduling the trip to New Hampshire very soon.2,06611:58 AM – Jul 2, 2019
The unusual sequence of events started Tuesday morning when a crowd in Salem was waiting for Pence to participate in a roundtable discussion and, later, deliver remarks on the opioid crisis and illegal drug flow in New Hampshire.
Shortly before the vice president was scheduled to arrive, an announcer at the event told the crowd that Air Force Two was no longer coming to New Hampshire because of an “emergency callback.”
“We do have a situation where the vice president was called back to Washington,” Randy Gentry, a representative of Pence’s office, told the crowd.
Those comments caused confusion over whether Pence was actually en route to New Hampshire or not. But Farah, Pence’s spokeswoman, later explained that the vice president never left Washington — and said it wasn’t an “emergency callback.”
The @VP never left Washington, DC. There was no “emergency callback.” Something came up that required the VP to stay in DC. We’ll reschedule NH shortly. https://twitter.com/vppresssec/status/1146085634433531904 …Alyssa Farah
Pence had been scheduled to land in New Hampshire at about 11:30 a.m. EST. At about 11:55 a.m., Pence’s vehicle pulled into the White House complex, and the vice president exited and walked into the West Wing.
Pence’s chief of staff Marc Short later told ABC News that Pence had boarded the plane, but Air Force Two had not taken off yet. Adding to the confusion, the ABC reporter tweeted that Short said the details of Tuesday’s events will be public “in a few weeks.”
Pence’s COS Marc Short told @meridithmcgraw that the Vice President was on the plane but it didn’t take off. Then he turned around, back to the White House. He told her we’ll find out “in a few weeks” what happened.7142:19 PM – Jul 2, 2019 · Florida, USA
Meanwhile, without giving details, a senior White House official told reporters the situation is not health-related for Pence or President Trump, and is not related to national security.
Trump is in Washington on Tuesday, but has no public events scheduled.
Fox News’ Blake Burman and Rob DiRienzo contributed to this report. Alex Pappas is a politics reporter at FoxNews.com.
- Biden downplayed Antifa’s threat at Tuesday’s debate, but the WH, experts believe it’s a terror group
- Chamber of Commerce’s top political strategist abruptly forced out
- US private employers add 749,000 jobs in September, topping expectations
- Mnuchin signals stimulus deal is near, driving Dow up nearly 400 points at open
- House GOP China task force to release report on combating Chinese Communist Party: ‘US must act decisively’
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on