By Alexandria Hein | Fox News
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported the first case of person-to-person transmission of coronavirus in the U.S. In a telebriefing on Thursday, officials said the patient is the husband of a Chicago woman who was diagnosed with the illness after returning from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the virus.
Dr. Robert Redfield, the CDC director, said the health agency had expected to identify “some” person-to-person spread in the U.S., but that the risk to the American public “remains low.” Officials stressed that the husband, who is in his 60s and has underlying health issues, and his wife had continued close contact while she was symptomatic, exposing him to the virus.
7,000 PEOPLE HELD ON CRUISE SHIP AFTER PASSENGER DEVELOPS SUSPECTED CORONAVIRUS SYMPTOMS
Both patients remain hospitalized and the man is stable. The woman, who is also in her 60s and was the first travel-related case confirmed in Illinois, is said to be “doing well.”
Officials said an investigative team is continuing to look into potential contacts of the couple.
Health officials in Canada previously reported a similar instance in a couple who were diagnosed with the coronavirus after they returned from a trip from Wuhan. The Ontario Ministry of Health said the man, who is in his 50s, reported fever and respiratory symptoms and was placed in insolation. Days later, the wife also tested positive for the virus.
At this time, the CDC said it does not recommend the general public wear masks, but that those who have recently traveled to China be vigilant about reporting possible symptoms.
The virus, which originated in Wuhan, China, has sickened more than 7,700 people and has been linked to at least 170 deaths.
This is a developing story.
- Over 15,000 Gas Stations Out of Fuel Nationwide
- Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Linked to More Blood Clot Cases: CDC
- South Carolina Governor Allows Mask Opt-Out in Schools, Bans Vaccine Passports
- House Republicans Oust Rep. Liz Cheney as GOP Conference Chairwoman
- Windham, New Hampshire 2020 Election Audit Starts
- Over 15,000 Gas Stations Out of Fuel Nationwide on
- Here Is Why the Democrats Are Totally Panicked About the Arizona Audit on
- Denmark Drops Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Over Possible Blood Clot Link on
- Ghislaine Maxwell’s Sex Crimes Trial in New York Delayed Until Fall on
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on