By Sam Dorman | Fox News
Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., received a flurry of attention on Thursday after she tweeted that “white supremacy” was behind the Jersey City shooting that left multiple people dead.
“This is heartbreaking. White supremacy kills,” Tlaib said in the since-deleted message that linked to a tweet by progressive Jewish group IfNotNow that memorialized the victims of Tuesday’s shooting at a kosher supermarket.
JERSEY CITY MAYOR: KOSHER MARKET ATTACK WAS A HATE CRIME, ANTI-SEMITISM MUST BE CALLED OUT
According to the New York Times, one of the suspects had a connection to the Black Hebrew Israelites, many of whom subscribe to an extreme set of anti-Semitic beliefs. Those followers view themselves as the true “chosen people” and believe that blacks, Hispanics and Native Americans are the true descendants of the 12 Tribes of Israel, said Oren Segal, director of the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism.
New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal said Thursday that assailants David Anderson and Francine Graham had expressed interest in the Black Hebrew Israelites, but added that investigators “have not definitively established any formal links to that organization or to any other group.”
Many Twitter users poked fun at Tlaib’s error.
The Black Hebrew Israelites perpetrated the anti-Semitic attack in Jersey City this week. @RashidaTlaib is literally whitewashing it right now.
Um, @RashidaTlaib the shooters were black…
It’s unclear what prompted Tlaib’s error. Her office didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment but eventually pointed Fox News to a previous tweet in which she lamented the shooting.
It was beyond heartbreaking to learn of what appears to be another anti-Semitic act of violence. The hate growing in our country is toxic. https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/12/shocked-jersey-city-struggles-with-day-of-violence-after-shooting-left-police-officer-5-others-dead.html …Shocked Jersey City struggles with day of violence after shooting left police officer, 5 others deadSecurity cameras show that the shooters targeted the Kosher grocery store on MLK Drive, Jersey City’s mayor said.nj.com4831:24 PM – Dec 11, 2019
Tuesday’s mass shooting was the latest attack on the Jewish community in the United States. Democrats like Tlaib have frequently blamed mass shootings like those on white nationalist ideology and white supremacist groups.Sam Dorman is a reporter with Fox News.
- China Emits More Greenhouse Gas Than Developed Countries Combined: Report
- Arizona Senate President Says She Thinks Election Audit Will Uncover ‘Irregularities’
- Californians to Lose Congressional Seat
- How the Biden-Harris Migration ‘Fix’ Would Throw Good Billions After Bad
- McConnell Says ‘100 Percent’ of His Focus Is on Blocking Biden’s Agenda
- Denmark Drops Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Over Possible Blood Clot Link on
- Ghislaine Maxwell’s Sex Crimes Trial in New York Delayed Until Fall on
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on