By Sam Dorman | Fox News
As the number of 2020 Democratic candidates continued to grow, the Republican National Committee (RNC) posted another record-breaking fundraising haul of $15.9 million in April.
That augmented the party’s $45.8 million record showing in the first quarter of 2019, bringing the total for the 2019-2020 election cycle to an accumulated $61.8 million.
The RNC said it raised $15.9 million for April, following a record showing of $45.8 million for the first quarter of 2019. And while the Democrats reportedly had $6.6 million in debt and other obligations in March, the RNC said it was debt-free.
The party attributed the strong numbers to its field program and support for the president. “Our record-breaking April fundraising haul is yet another example of the outstanding leadership of Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel along with the overwhelming grassroots support for President Trump, and the winning results of a Republican-led agenda,” RNC Chief of Staff Richard Walters said in a press release.
“Thanks to the President’s supporters, the RNC continues to grow its robust, permanent field program and top-notch data operation so that we can support Republicans up and down the ballot and re-elect President Trump in 2020.”
The announcement came as the 23rd Democratic candidate threw his hat in the ring to challenge Trump in the 2020 presidential election. Despite the large number of candidates, voters seemed to coalesce around former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., who consistently out-polled other candidates.
Biden, the frontrunner, has taken a decidely anti-Trump tone — posting an announcement video that warned the “soul” of the nation was at stake. Democrats seemed to reward him for it as he received $6.3 million in donations within the first 24 hours of announcing.
Heading into the presidential election, the Trump campaign told Fox News it would focus on the Democratic field’s “socialist” inclinations. “We see them as a homogenous group of socialists,” the campaign’s national press secretary said.
Trump’s campaign already raised $30 million in the first quarter and received the emphatic support of the RNC, which passed a resolution offering the president its “undivided support” before 2020.
Sam Dorman is a reporter with Fox News.
- Project Veritas Bombshell: Ilhan Omar Connected to Illegal Ballot Harvesting Scheme
- Longstanding tradition at debates comes to an end during first face off between Trump, Biden
- Amy Coney Barrett confirmation: Inside the White House’s plan to deploy ‘knife fighters’ to defend nominee
- California wildfires rage as wine country blaze forces evacuation of hospital, hundreds of homes
- North Korea accuses South of crossing disputed boundary to find dead official
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on