By Adam Shaw | Fox News
Late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s casket arrived on Friday at the U.S. Capitol, where she will lie in state — making her the first woman to do so.
Ginsburg died a week ago at 87, and the ceremony comes after days of tributes and memorials for the liberal trailblazer. The ceremony will include elected officials — including former Vice President Joe Biden — as well as family and other invited guests.
TRUMP VISITS SUPREME COURT TO PAY RESPECTS TO RUTH BADER GINSBURG, PROTESTS HEARD OUTSIDE
Ginsburg is the second figure to lie in state during the pandemic after the late Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., was the first African-American to lie in state. Ginsburg is the first woman and the first Jewish person to lie in state.
Civil Rights pioneer Rosa Parks lay “in honor” in the Capitol Rotunda on October 29, 2005. She was the first woman to be so recognized in the Rotunda. Lying in “honor” is considered to be one level below “state.”
Ginsburg has lain in repose for two days at the Supreme Court, where thousands of people paid their respects, including President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump on Thursday.
Rabbi Lauren Holtzblatt will deliver a remembrance and there will be a pair of musical selections from mezzo soprano Denyce Graves, with Lauren Ward on piano. Among the songs is American Anthem — which concludes “Let me know in my heart when my days are through America. I gave my best to you.”
Members of the House and Senate who are not invited to the ceremony because of space limitations imposed by the coronavirus pandemic will be able to pay their respects before a motorcade carrying Ginsburg’s casket departs the Capitol early afternoon.
Fox News’ Chad Pergram and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Maricopa County Audit Report Expected in August
- Gov. Abbott Signs Into Law 7 Bills Enforcing Second Amendment in Texas, Including Constitutional Carry
- Pennsylvania Election Audit a ‘Very Real Possibility’: Top Senate Republican
- Probe Into Fulton County Absentee Ballot Forms Started Before Public Announcement: Official
- Entire Portland Police Rapid Response Team Quits After Officer’s Indictment
- Fauci Team Scrambled in January 2020 to Respond to Lab Leak Allegations, Emails Show on
- Busted! Windham Auditors Tampered With Machine Tape Data – Bombshell! on
- Over 15,000 Gas Stations Out of Fuel Nationwide on
- Here Is Why the Democrats Are Totally Panicked About the Arizona Audit on
- Denmark Drops Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Over Possible Blood Clot Link on