By Gary Gastelu | Fox News
President Trump is taking part in this year’s Daytona 500.
Trump hosted NASCAR Champion Martin Truex Jr.’s team at The White House. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images)
Not as a driver, but as grand marshal, which means he gets to give the “start your engines” command to the 43 entrants in The Great American Race.
It’ll mark the first time a president, sitting or former, has ever held the role. The only other time a sitting president attended the race was when George Bush came in 2004, the year Dale Earnhardt Jr. won his first 500.
WHO HAS WON THE MOST DAYTONA 500s?
Earnhardt was grand marshal in 2018 and will be on the stand this Sunday to wave the green flag as honorary starter.
Trump was endorsed in 2016 by former NASCAR CEO Brian France Jr., has hosted series champions Joey Logano and Martin Truex Jr. at The White House and gave NASCAR team owner Roger Penske the Presidential Medal of Freedom last year.
And while the president won’t be getting on the track, his name will. Just not on Sunday.
(Mike Harmon Racing)
Joe Nemechek will be driving a Mike Harmon Racing car in the NASCAR Xfinity Series race on Saturday sponsored by the Patriots PAC of America that will have Trump/Pence 2020 logos on it.
Gary Gastelu is FoxNews.com’s Automotive Editor.
- First presidential debate: What to watch for at the Trump vs. Biden showdown
- Flynn lawyer in fiery hearing tells judge to recuse self over ‘abject bias,’ says she asked Trump not to pardon
- Texas’ largest county is approving voter registrations for noncitizens, lawsuit claims
- Supreme Court and ObamaCare – here’s what to expect if law is not upheld
- Rep. Scalise: ‘Somebody clearly broke the law to leak’ Trump’s tax history
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on