By Fox News Staff | Fox News
Despite growing disagreements over trade and tariffs, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi to discuss international cooperation amid the Iran crisis.
On Wednesday, Pompeo recognized the two countries’ differences while meeting with both Modi and foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar in New Delhi but made sure to emphasize that the countries must work together toward a common goal.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, left, listening to Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar during a news conference at the Foreign Ministry in New Delhi, India, on Wednesday. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)
The United States and India have shared a political and strategic common ground on Iran. Both countries have hit the rogue nation with economic penalties this year.
“I think that’s a concern to which Secretary Pompeo was certainly very, very receptive,” said Jaishankar. “I think he understands that this is today the world’s fifth-largest economy, which imports 85 percent of its energy, a large part of it from the Gulf.”
Pompeo praised India’s efforts in cutting oil from Iran, stating that Tehran “is the world’s largest state sponsor of terror.”
He continued, “There’s a shared understanding of the threat and a common purpose to ensure that we can keep that energy at the right prices and this … terror regime poses to the entire world.”
Pompeo said the collaboration will strengthen bilateral ties.
“Great friends are bound to have disagreements,” Pompeo said after meeting with Jaishankar.
Jaishankar agreed, commenting the United States and India “need to filter through the noise and get down to the basics of the relationship.”
Indian foreign ministry spokesman Raveesh Kumar said Pompeo and Modi exchanged “views on various aspects of the Indo-U.S. relationship.”
“Working together to further deepen our strategic partnership,” Kumar tweeted.
President Trump is set to meet with Modi at the G-20 Summit in Osaka, Japan, later this week. Hundreds of supporters of left-wing groups demonstrated in central New Delhi to protest Pompeo’s arrival in India and denounce American policies in the Middle East.
Fox News’ Morgan Cheung and The Associated Press contributed to this report.This article was written by Fox News staff.
- Trump takes press to task for skipping over Hunter Biden scandals
- Wildfire erupts in California’s Napa County, emergency evacuations over ‘dangerous rate of spread’
- Mexican authorities issue warrants for military, police allegedly linked to disappearance of 43 students
- Andrew McCarthy: Steele dossier source – would you believe a suspected Russian spy?
- Hawley warns Schumer not to criticize Barrett over religion during SCOTUS hearing
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on