By Ray Brewer, Andy Hershberger
WEARE, N.H. —
A police officer was shot in the line of duty on Buckley Road in Weare early Thursday morning.
Weare police were called to a home on Buckley Road at about 1:40 a.m. Thursday for a report of a domestic incident. Sources tell WMUR the call came from someone who was not inside the home.
Attorney General Gordon MacDonald said that Jeffrey Clough-Garvin, 43, fired his gun at Weare police officers. Officer William Lewis, 27, was struck by gunfire in the arm. Lewis was described to be “in good spirits” and is expected to survive.
MacDonald said shots were fired at 1:48 a.m., while the report of an officer being shot was called in at 1:49 a.m.
At least one Weare police officer fired his weapon. His name is being withheld pending an investigation and an officer interview, which is expected to take place as soon as possible, MacDonald said.
After the shooting, officers left the home, while Clough-Garvin stayed inside it. He was the only person in the home at that time, MacDonald said.
Clough-Garvin was found dead about 8:30 a.m. in the home, MacDonald said.Play Video
MacDonald added that Weare police officers wear body cameras, and it is believed that the cameras were operational at the time. He said it appears images of the shooting were captured.
New Hampshire State Police had asked all residents in the area of Buckley Road to lock their doors, remain inside and shelter in place, but the order was lifted before 9 a.m. after the situation was declared to be under control, officials said.
Police from Weare, Henniker, Goffstown and New Hampshire State Police responded to the scene, sources said.
Weare police said members of the community can support the wounded officer by making a donation at any TD Bank to the “Weare Police Officer Fund.”
- Supreme Court Justice dies from cancer at 87
- Pelosi snaps at reporter who asks about smaller coronavirus relief bill: ‘Just go read my statement’
- Controversy over anti-Biden ad blocked by Facebook: ‘Someone needs to fact check the fact checkers’
- Long lines accompany start of early voting in Virginia
- Poll: Majority plan to vote before Election Day
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on