At least 20 Senate Republicans have said they were opposed to a $1.8 trillion offer from the White House to Pelosi on a compromise package.
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows on Sunday called on Congress to pass a coronavirus relief bill using leftover funds from the small business loan program as negotiations on a more comprehensive package face resistance.
Their proposal was the latest twist in the on-again, off-again talks to try to secure more stimulus for the economy.
TRUMP PREPARING NEW $1.8T CORONAVIRUS RELIEF PACKAGE, URGES CONGRESS TO ‘GO BIG’
In a letter to House and Senate members, Mnuchin and Meadows said the White House would continue to talk to Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, but that Congress should “immediately vote on a bill” that would enable the use of unused Paycheck Protection Program funds.
“The all or nothing approach is an unacceptable response to the American people,” they wrote.
US TO COLLECT TARIFFS ON $1.96B WORTH OF ALUMINUM SHEET GOODS: WILBUR ROSS
President Donald Trump on Friday offered a $1.8 trillion coronavirus relief package in talks with Pelosi after urging his team on Twitter to “go big” – moving closer to Pelosi’s $2.2 trillion proposal. That came after Trump earlier last week said he was calling off negotiations until after the Nov. 3 election.
TRUMP INDICATES HE NO LONGER HAS THE CORONAVIRUS
Trump’s reversal and higher offer drew criticism from at least 20 Senate Republicans, who said they were concerned a deal would cost Republicans support in the upcoming elections.
White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said on CNN’s State of the Union on Sunday that he thought Senate Republicans would eventually come around.
“I think if an agreement can be reached, they will go along with it,” he said, adding that there will be “further efforts of negotiation” on a package this week.
(Reporting by Valerie Volcovici Editing by Bill Berkrot)
- Joe Biden ‘has been caught in repeated lies over Biden Inc’: Sen. Johnson
- If Biden wins, he tells his Wall Street supporters he can’t wait to raise taxes
- Biden grilled on ‘transition’ away from oil and gas comment in Pennsylvania TV interviews
- Biden Daughters Diary details not appropriate showers with Joe as a child
- Intelligence Report – Typhoon Investigations – Joe Biden
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says new criminal allegations against AG Ken Paxton ‘raise serious concerns’ on
- Chris Wallace: Trump ‘bears the primary responsibility for what happened’ at the debate on
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on