By Joseph A. Wulfsohn | Fox News
ABC News chief political analyst Matthew Dowd suggested Tuesday that Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., is sexist because he “keeps trying to defeat women running for president.”
Sanders has been on the defensive this week after Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., affirmed a report that he had told her he didn’t think a woman could win the presidency. She said it happened during a December 2018 meeting before they formally launched their presidential bids.
Dowd, who has described himself as “proud independent,” weighed in on the political spat by indirectly hitting the Vermont progressive.
“You know one clear way to demonstrate that you believe a woman can and should be president? Don’t try to defeat a woman running for President,” Dowd tweeted.
You know one clear way to demonstrate that you believe a woman can and should be president? Don’t try to defeat a woman running for President.1,91811:18 AM – Jan 14, 2020
SANDERS CAMPAIGN BLASTS THE ‘MILLIONAIRES ON THE VIEW’ FOR ‘SMEARING’ HIS SUPPORTERS AS ANTI-WOMEN
That sparked lots of reactions on social media, including from one Twitter user who defended Sanders.
“I’m not a Bernie supporter at all. But I think this Sanders & Warren controversy is completely overblown. Bernie is not a sexist,” a user named Wendy wrote.
“What I find fascinating is that he keeps trying to defeat women running for president,” Dowd responded.
That was a clear reference to Sanders’ 2016 presidential run against former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Another Twitter user, who also claimed not to be “a Bernie supporter,” pushed back against the ABC News analyst, saying that if Sanders “wants to run for president and there are women who oppose him so be it. I don’t think we should hold that against him.”
VIDEO SURFACES OF SANDERS SAYING ‘A WOMAN COULD BE ELECTED PRESIDENT,’ WARREN AFFIRMS HE TOLD HER THE OPPOSITE
Dowd, however, doubled down.
“Point is if you really believe a woman can be and should be president then why are you trying to defeat women,” Dowd tweeted.
I’m not a Bernie supporter at all. But I think this Sanders & Warren controversy is completely overblown. Bernie is not a sexist.
What I find fascinating is that he keeps trying to defeat women running for president.5011:41 AM – Jan 14, 2020
Look I also am not a Bernie supporter and I really hope he does not win the primary. But if he feels he wants to run for president and there are women who oppose him so be it. I don’t think we should hold that against him
Point is if you really believe a woman can and should be president then why are you trying to defeat women.1712:02 PM – Jan 14, 2020
Dowd’s ABC colleagues on The View also were critical of Sanders amid his dustup with Warren.
Co-host Sunny Hostin appeared to side with Warren, telling her colleagues that Sanders “may very well believe that” given how every U.S. president has been a man. “They’d rather vote for a 78-year-old socialist who just had a heart attack than a woman,” Joy Behar chuckled.
Meghan McCain, however, expressed that Sanders’ supporters, specifically the “Bernie Bros,” had a “problem” with women.”One of the few things that really connects liberal pundits and conservative female pundits together is, there’s just a level of misogyny. Look at Twitter,” McCain elaborated. “He has a problem with women and he has for a long time. And, I think if Elizabeth Warren has this in her back pocket, all is fair in politics, all is fair in love and war, and look, I don’t want another misogynist as president, OK?”Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News.
- Project Veritas Bombshell: Ilhan Omar Connected to Illegal Ballot Harvesting Scheme
- Longstanding tradition at debates comes to an end during first face off between Trump, Biden
- Amy Coney Barrett confirmation: Inside the White House’s plan to deploy ‘knife fighters’ to defend nominee
- California wildfires rage as wine country blaze forces evacuation of hospital, hundreds of homes
- North Korea accuses South of crossing disputed boundary to find dead official
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on