By Brie Stimson | Fox News
The deputy manager of Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential campaign slammed The New York Times on Wednesday in a letter to the newspaper’s executive editor — blasting the paper’s coverage of the former vice president’s involvement in Ukraine.
The letter, written by Kate Bedingfield to Dean Baquet, criticizes the paper for “giving top billing” to “Clinton Cash” author Peter Schweizer in a Wednesday op-ed titled, “What Hunter Biden Did Was Legal – That’s the Problem,” CNN reported.
HILLARY ON BIDEN-UKRAINE ALLEGATIONS: ‘FAIR GAME’ TO QUESTION JUDGMENT, BUT ‘NO EVIDENCE’ OF WRONGDOING’
In his article, Schweizer asserts Biden was “self-dealing” in Ukraine while vice president.
“Congress can and should conduct an inquiry to determine whether anything illegal occurred,” Schweizer writes.
Bedingfield goes on to criticize The Times’ Ukraine coverage at large. She writes that the newspaper had an “outsized hand in a baseless conspiracy theory” promoted by Trump’s attorney, Rudy Giuliani, that Biden acted inappropriately in helping get rid of a Ukrainian prosecutor.
She then accuses The Times of “active participation” in a “smear campaign” against Biden, citing a May article titled “Biden Faces Conflict of Interest Questions That Are Being Promoted by Trump and Allies.”
The Times later pushed back against the Biden campaign official’s assertions, according to a statement obtained by CNN.
“Our coverage of the Biden campaign and Hunter Biden has been fair and accurate,” the newspaper wrote, adding it “will continue to cover Joe Biden with the same tough and fair standards we apply to every candidate in the race and we’re happy to sit down with Biden advisers anytime to discuss news coverage.”
The Times’ statement emphasized the Schweizer story was published in the Opinion section, “where their mission is to invite intelligent discussion on a range of opinions and ideas.”
The Biden campaign also sent letters to Twitter and Facebook on Wednesday, asking them not to run ads from the Trump campaign that promote what it described as conspiracy theories about the Bidens in Ukraine, according to CNN.
- Texas’ largest county is approving voter registrations for noncitizens, lawsuit claims
- Supreme Court and ObamaCare – here’s what to expect if law is not upheld
- Rep. Scalise: ‘Somebody clearly broke the law to leak’ Trump’s tax history
- ‘Mass confusion’ in major city over mismarked absentee ballots
- President receives third 2020 Nobel Peace Prize nomination
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on