By Zachary Stieber
Google on Wednesday said it reassigned a top diversity officer after critics noted he wrote years ago that Jews have an “insatiable appetite for war and killing.”
Kamau Bobb has been removed from Google’s diversity team, a spokesperson told The Epoch Times in an email.
Bobb was the company’s global lead for diversity strategy and research.
About a decade before joining Google in 2018, Bobb wrote on his blog about how he would feel if he were Jewish.
“If I were a Jew I would be concerned about my insatiable appetite for war and killing in defense of myself,” he wrote at the time. “Self-defense is undoubtedly an instinct, but I would be afraid of my increasing insensitivity to the suffering [of] others.”
Bobb reportedly sent an apology letter to colleagues at Google, writing in part: “What was intended as a critique of particular military action fed into anti-Semitic tropes and prejudice. I think we can all agree, there is no easy solution to this situation. But that’s beside the point. The way I expressed my views on that conflict were hurtful.”
Jewish groups had called for Bobb’s firing.
“Google must fire this anti-Semite,” the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Jewish human rights group, said in a tweet.
The Coalition of Jewish Values wrote to Google CEO Sundar Pichai to urge him to immediately replace Bobb, indicating an apology was not sufficient.
Yaakov Menken, managing director of the coalition, told The Epoch Times that people can change their views and perhaps the uproar over the old remarks could lead to a change in Bobb.
“We definitely believe people can change their views, and maybe this is waking him up to the fact that he imbibed anti-Semitic poison and that can be cured. But having him in a research position places him where he can do very little harm; being diversity lead was in a position where he could do tremendous damage to the very fabric, the very ideal of diversity,” he said.
Google’s spokesperson told The Epoch Times that company officials “unequivocally condemn the past writings by a member of our diversity team that are causing deep offense and pain to members of our Jewish community.”
“These writings are unquestionably hurtful. The author acknowledges this and has apologized. He will no longer be part of our diversity team going forward and will focus on his STEM work,” the spokesperson said.
“This has come at a time where we’ve seen an alarming increase in anti-Semitic attacks. Anti-Semitism is a vile prejudice that has given rise to unfathomable acts. It has no place in society and we stand with our Jewish community in condemning it.”
- Election Assessment in Pennsylvania County Uncovers Five ‘Issues of Note’
- Nearly 800 Reports of Heart Inflammation After COVID-19 Vaccination in US
- California Woman Who Got Both Moderna Vaccine Shots Dies of COVID-19: Officials
- Report: Zuckerberg-Backed Grants, Which Were Irregularly Distributed, Increased Voter Turnout for Democrats in Wisconsin 2020 Election
- Texas to Build Its Own Border Wall and Arrest Illegal Immigrants: Governor
- Fauci Team Scrambled in January 2020 to Respond to Lab Leak Allegations, Emails Show on
- Busted! Windham Auditors Tampered With Machine Tape Data – Bombshell! on
- Over 15,000 Gas Stations Out of Fuel Nationwide on
- Here Is Why the Democrats Are Totally Panicked About the Arizona Audit on
- Denmark Drops Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Over Possible Blood Clot Link on