By Jack Durschlag | Fox News
Millennials and Gen-Z adults in the U.S. lack general knowledge about the Holocaust, a new survey said.
“The results are both shocking and saddening and they underscore why we must act now while Holocaust survivors are still with us to voice their stories,” said Gideon Taylor, President of the Conference on Jewish Material Claim Against Germany, the organization that conducted the poll.
The group concluded that schools must be responsible for providing more thorough Holocaust education.
HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS URGE FACEBOOK TO TAKE DOWN ‘ANTI-SEMITIC’ DENIAL POSTS, CLASSIFY THEM AS HATE SPEECH
The survey also revealed a majority of American adults believe fewer people (70 percent) care about the Holocaust today than they used to and 58 percent of Americans believe the Holocaust could happen again.
In addition, 31% of Americans and more than 41% Millennials believe substantially less than 6 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust. There were more than 40,000 concentration camps and ghettos in Europe during the Holocaust, 45 percent of Americans cannot name one.
‘Arbeit Macht Frei’ sign at the former Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz in Oswiecim, Poland on 27 January 2015. (Photo by Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images) (Getty Images)
While 55 percent of Millennials knew the Holocaust occurred in World War II, 19 percent believed it occurred in World War I while 2% claimed it occurred in Vietnam and 1% in the U.S. Civil War, the report said.
The study was commissioned by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany and involved 1,350 American adults reached via landline, cellphone and online interviews. All respondents were selected at random.
- Republicans on North Carolina Board of Elections resign after mail-in ballot changes
- Trump says Biden ‘should leave the campaign’ after Senate GOP report on Hunter Biden’s business dealings
- E.W. Scripps nears $2.65B takeover of ION Media in Berkshire deal
- 2020 now a referendum on vengeful Democrats, not controversial Trump
- McConnell calls Schumer ‘uniquely non-credible’ on judicial norms, Dem leader slams GOP on ‘fiction’ precedent
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on