By Newt Gingrich | Fox News
Imagine the power just went out. How would your life be immediately affected? Likely, in the short term, you’d be minorly inconvenienced. You’d have to find a candle or a flashlight to read or do household tasks. You might have to change your dinner plan, because you can’t use your electric stove to cook.
But now imagine that the power didn’t come back on – for weeks, months, or years – and imagine the outage is everywhere.
Now, all the food in your fridge (and your grocery store) will go bad. Your cell phone will become useless. Your car might not start – and if it does, gas station fuel pumps will not operate. If you require medication that needs to be refrigerated, it will be ruined – and replacements will be unavailable. (If you require dialysis or some other regular procedure that requires electricity, you will likely die.) The same goes for all of your neighbors and loved ones.
This the scenario we might face if the United States is attacked (or naturally suffers from) an electromagnetic pulse (or EMP) – the topic of this week’s episode of “Newt’s World.”
An EMP is a super energetic radio wave that could be caused by an enemy attack, or a large solar flare from the sun, and it causes electric grids to blackout and shut down for an extended period. The net result is the life-sustaining critical infrastructure, which helps maintain modern civilization everywhere on the planet, is threatened.
The consequences of an EMP attack could be dire indeed, although there are steps the U.S. can take to harden our electrical grids and vital infrastructure. In this week’s episode, I speak with Dr. William R. Forstchen, who has written a series of illustrative and didactic novels about an EMP attack. His books “One Second After,” “One Year After,” and “The Final Day” have sold millions of copies worldwide. I also speak with Dr. Peter Vincent Pry, who served as chief of staff on the Congressional EMP Commission for 17 years and has written and testified extensively on this important topic.
I hope you will listen to this week’s episode. If we, as a society, don’t start moving to protect ourselves from the threat of EMP, our very civilization may be put in jeopardy.
Former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Newt Gingrich is the host of the “Newt’s World” podcast and author of the New York Times bestsellers “Understanding Trump and Trump’s America.”
- Republicans on North Carolina Board of Elections resign after mail-in ballot changes
- Trump says Biden ‘should leave the campaign’ after Senate GOP report on Hunter Biden’s business dealings
- E.W. Scripps nears $2.65B takeover of ION Media in Berkshire deal
- 2020 now a referendum on vengeful Democrats, not controversial Trump
- McConnell calls Schumer ‘uniquely non-credible’ on judicial norms, Dem leader slams GOP on ‘fiction’ precedent
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on