By Ronn Blitzer FOXBusiness
Pittsburgh joins 15 other cities promoting universal basic income.
Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto announced that his city is now participating in a program receiving funding from Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, in which eligible residents will receive $500 in monthly “guaranteed income.”
The money used to start the program will come from funds Dorsey gave that is allowing Pittsburgh and 15 other cities to help those who are struggling during the economic crisis brought about by the coronavirus pandemic.
TWITTER CEO JACK DORSEY DONATES $3M FOR UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME PROGRAM
“A number of people in the city of Pittsburgh will be chosen to be able to receive a monthly stipend, basically a debit card,” Peduto told local CBS affiliate KDKA. He did not specify how many people would qualify, but he did outline the criteria he would look at.
Peduto said that he wants to give the monthly payments to those who are currently struggling and who would be able to improve their lives with it. He is also looking to award the money to people of different backgrounds and demographics so that a study can be conducted to analyze how it works.
“This is one tool to close the wealth and income gap, level systemic race and gender inequalities, and create economic security for families,” Dorsey tweeted about the program earlier this month.
Dorsey gift is benefitting cities including Atlanta, Seattle and Los Angeles, whose mayors formed the network Mayors for a Guaranteed Income. That group was launched by Stockton, Calif. Mayor Michael Tubbs, who launched his own guaranteed income program in 2018.
“Mayors are the moral leaders of the country,” Tubbs told Forbes. “They’re on the frontlines dealing with, responding to and working for constituents each and every day. Given Covid-19 and the need for regular ongoing cash assistance, and also the protests on not just police violence but structural violence in the city, I knew it was time to leverage what we’ve learned in Stockton and create a network of mayors and advocate with a collective voice for guaranteed cash payments.”
- Biden downplayed Antifa’s threat at Tuesday’s debate, but the WH, experts believe it’s a terror group
- Chamber of Commerce’s top political strategist abruptly forced out
- US private employers add 749,000 jobs in September, topping expectations
- Mnuchin signals stimulus deal is near, driving Dow up nearly 400 points at open
- House GOP China task force to release report on combating Chinese Communist Party: ‘US must act decisively’
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on