By Sam Dorman | Fox News
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., celebrated former national security adviser John Bolton’s departure from the White House, arguing that his foreign policy was “naïve” and led to armed conflict.
“The chances of a war worldwide go greatly down,” Paul told reporters on Tuesday. His comments came just after President Trump announced that he asked for Bolton’s resignation — something Bolton disputes, claiming that he was the one who offered to resign.
Paul appeared to back Trump’s version of events, tweeting that the president has: “great instincts.”
TRUMP OUSTS NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER JOHN BOLTON, SAYS THEY ‘DISAGREED STRONGLY’ ON POLICY
“I commend @realDonaldTrump for this necessary action,” he said. “The President has great instincts on foreign policy and ending our endless wars. He should be served by those who share those views.”
Paul, who has long been critical of hawkish foreign policy, told reporters on Tuesday that Bolton had a penchant for pursuing regime change.
“Bolton’s probably the leading advocate for regime change everywhere,” Paul said. “He’s got the naïve worldview that believes that we should recreate the world in our image by toppling countries through violent overthrow and that somehow democracy will prevail.
“And I think when we’ve done it in the Middle East, often the governments that come into place after the authoritarian is removed end up being as bad or worse as the government we saw in place before.”
When Trump announced the decision, he claimed that the two “disagreed strongly” on policy matters.Sam Dorman is a reporter with Fox News.
- Trump campaign requests third party inspector to check for electronic devices in candidates’ ears
- Project Veritas Bombshell: Ilhan Omar Connected to Illegal Ballot Harvesting Scheme
- Longstanding tradition at debates comes to an end during first face off between Trump, Biden
- Amy Coney Barrett confirmation: Inside the White House’s plan to deploy ‘knife fighters’ to defend nominee
- California wildfires rage as wine country blaze forces evacuation of hospital, hundreds of homes
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on