A Tennessee GOP lawmaker argued earlier this month that getting rid of higher education would save the U.S. by removing the “liberal breeding ground.”
State Sen. Kerry Roberts called for eliminating colleges and universities during his conservative radio show on Sept. 2, while discussing a recent abortion ruling.
He called out one activist who testified in favor of protecting abortion rights, saying her beliefs were a “product of higher education” and that getting rid of higher education would “save America.”
He also claimed removing higher education would cut off the “liberal breeding ground,” The Hill reported. Conservatives had long criticized universities and professors for supposedly indoctrinating students with liberal views instead of teaching a balanced curriculum.
Roberts did not immediately respond to a Fox News request for comment Monday.
During his show, he also questioned funding higher education with tax dollars. He voted in favor of a $38.5 billion budget that included money for colleges and universities.
He is a 1983 graduate of Lipscomb University in Nashville, according to his state Senate profile.
- First presidential debate: What to watch for at the Trump vs. Biden showdown
- Flynn lawyer in fiery hearing tells judge to recuse self over ‘abject bias,’ says she asked Trump not to pardon
- Texas’ largest county is approving voter registrations for noncitizens, lawsuit claims
- Supreme Court and ObamaCare – here’s what to expect if law is not upheld
- Rep. Scalise: ‘Somebody clearly broke the law to leak’ Trump’s tax history
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on