By Daniella Genovese | Fox News
Paris officials have opened a terror investigation into a knife attack Friday near the former offices of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo that left several people with life-threatening injuries. Two suspects have been arrested in connection to the attack.
The investigation was opened into “attempted murder in relation with a terrorist enterprise,” according to France’s counterterrorism prosecutor’s office.
Authorities initially told reporters that four people had been injured, however, an official told the Associated Press that there are in fact only two confirmed wounded. Police could not explain the discrepancies.
French police officers and rescue workers gather after four people have been wounded in a knife attack near the former offices of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, Friday Sept. 25, 2020 in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
Police did not release the identities of the attacker or the wounded, who are in “absolutely urgent” condition, the official, who was not authorized to be publicly named, said.
Police cordoned off the area including the former Charlie Hebdo offices after a suspect package was noticed nearby.
Prime Minister Jean Castex cut short a visit to a suburb north of Paris to head to the Interior Ministry to follow developments.
Police car park outside a building after four people have been wounded in a knife attack near the former offices of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo on Sept. 25, 2020 in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
It is unclear what motivated the attack Friday or whether it had any link to Charlie Hebdo, which moved offices after they were attacked by the Islamic extremists in 2015.
The trial in the Charlie Hebdo attacks is currently underway. Murmurs broke at the terrorism trial of 14 people, including three fugitives, accused of helping the attackers in the January 2015 killings, as the news filtered through. The widows of the Charlie Hebdo attackers are scheduled to testify Friday afternoon.
This story is developing. Please check back for updates. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Joe Biden ‘has been caught in repeated lies over Biden Inc’: Sen. Johnson
- If Biden wins, he tells his Wall Street supporters he can’t wait to raise taxes
- Biden grilled on ‘transition’ away from oil and gas comment in Pennsylvania TV interviews
- Biden Daughters Diary details not appropriate showers with Joe as a child
- Intelligence Report – Typhoon Investigations – Joe Biden
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says new criminal allegations against AG Ken Paxton ‘raise serious concerns’ on
- Chris Wallace: Trump ‘bears the primary responsibility for what happened’ at the debate on
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on