By Brittany De Lea FOXBusiness
President said he wants money to get into people’s pockets so they can spend it.
President Trump supports another round of economic impact payments to individuals, he told FOX Business on Wednesday.
Trump told FOX Business’ Blake Burman that he supported the measure as part of another stimulus package, so long as it “done properly.”
“I support actually larger numbers than the Democrats, but it’s got to be done properly,” Trump said. “I want the money getting to people to be larger so they can spend it. I want the money to get there quickly and in a noncomplicated fashion.”
SENATE PASSES BILL TO EXTEND PPP APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR SMALL BUSINESSES
The Democrats have advocated for another round of $1,200 payments, indicating Trump would like to see checks in excess of that amount.
The president also mentioned he wants the next round of stimulus to create a “great incentive to work,” referring to the $600 bump in unemployment benefits implemented as part of the CARES Act. Republicans have since criticized the measure as a deterrent for unemployed individuals to seek out new employment.
Some Democrats are looking to extend the measure beyond its scheduled expiration in July.
The administration has backed what it calls a “back-to-work bonus” as an alternative, which would provide an incentive for individuals to reenter the marketplace.
UNEMPLOYED IN FOCUS AS LAWMAKERS CONSIDER NEW STIMULUS BILL
On Tuesday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said that a potential phase four bill would be approved this month – before Congress leaves for recess in August.
Also on Tuesday, lawmakers in the Senate approved a bill with unanimous consent to extend the time that business owners have to apply for a loan under the Paycheck Protection Program. The deadline was Tuesday. The legislation still requires approval from the House.
- Wildfire erupts in California’s Napa County, emergency evacuations over ‘dangerous rate of spread’
- Mexican authorities issue warrants for military, police allegedly linked to disappearance of 43 students
- Andrew McCarthy: Steele dossier source – would you believe a suspected Russian spy?
- Hawley warns Schumer not to criticize Barrett over religion during SCOTUS hearing
- Senator Kennedy to Dem colleague ‘Sell crazy somewhere else’
- Pelosi trolled by pro-Trumpers with alleged video from California district: ‘Nancy Pelosi does not want you to see this’ on
- Michigan appeals court backs Whitmer’s use of emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic on
- US troops attacked in eastern Syria, officials say on
- Our leaders have sided with the agents of chaos – we’re told crimes of the mob are our fault on
- US Aircraft Carriers Return to South China Sea Amid Rising Tensions on